Want to Become an RBT?
- The longest process in becoming an RBT is the background check (fingerprinting). We recommend starting that as soon as possible.
- There are several fees that you will be responsible to pay when applying:
- Each testing attempt for RBT
- Registration with the NV ABA Board after completing your RBT test
Before getting started, it should be noted that there are state requirements before applying to take the RBT exam:
- Individual must be at least 18 years of age
- Individual must have obtained their High School Diploma or a GED.
Step 1: Register for Fingerprinting (Fee Required - Estimated $20)
Since fingerprinting takes the longest, we have devised the following steps to allow for you to start with fingerprinting while still completing your training. Fingerprinting takes several weeks, so beginning here makes the process seem shorter. Please note that there are fees associated to the fingerprinting process which you will be required to pay. In addition, while this is processing, you can still complete your 40-Hour training AND test for your RBT license while this is processing. However, if you do not pass your background check you will not become registered or certified as an RBT in the state of Nevada.
Follow these sub steps below:
- Visit https://www.nvababoard.org
- Go to Licensing/registration
- Click Applications
- Scroll down until you can see the text box labeled “Certemy RBT link” under the “Registered Behavior Technician” Panel
- Once registered, there is a requirement for fingerprinting to be submitted. A special fingerprinting paper must be printed and presented at the location you are completing the fingerprinting process. If this process is accidentally missed, you can print the paper and return to the same location to have them complete it, typically without a fee.
Step 2: Register for a BACB.com Account (Free)
A Registered Behavior Technician is required to report a Borad Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) which is registered with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). The BACB account allows an RBT to link to a BCBA once they have reached a certain point in the process of becoming an RBT. To register for an account, complete the steps below:
- Visit https://www.bacb.com/
- Click on “My Account” located in the top right corner of the page.
- After being prompted to log in, click the “Register” option and create your account.
- After registering, login to the newly created account and complete any information the website ask you to complete upon initial login.
Step 3: Complete RBT 40-Hour Training (Free or Paid)
In order to become an RBT, individuals must complete a mandatory 40-Hour training course. At this time, Behavioral Achievements does not offer a 40-Hour training course. However, individuals can register with any company and complete a paid for course if they desire. However, through Autism Partnership Foundation, individuals can complete a free course that provides them with their 40-Hour training certificate. To complete these steps, complete only ONE of the following (it is your choice for the paid or free path so choose what works for you):
Relias (Paid – Est Fee $99)
- Click here to access Relias (let us know if the link fails)
- Order the RBT Series Service (Comes with the 40-hour training and a practice exam)
Autism Partnership Foundation (Free)
- Visit https://autismpartnershipfoundation.org
- Click on the E-Learning drop down menu and select “RBT Training”
- Scroll down and click “Log in to enroll”
- After this, register for a free account and enroll and complete this course
- Save OR print the certificate once the 40-Hour training is complete.
** Behavioral Achievements is not affiliated with Autism Partnership Foundation. We only suggest them since it is both free and provides most of the necessary training on the task list items required by the BACB for the RBT exam. Individuals wishing to seek training elsewhere are encouraged to do so if desired.
Step 4: Get CPR Training (May require a fee)
Individuals who become RBTs are required to get CPR certified and maintain their certification status. If individuals do not have this, there are many courses available throughout the community. We do have a few resources available to help find these courses upon request.
Step 5: Inform and Email Behavioral Achievements Upon Completion (Free)
Once all of the above processes are complete, we can schedule individuals to meet with the BCBA. This meeting will include the process to perform the required competency portion before becoming a registered RBT. The following documents/information will be required upon meeting with the BCBA:
- 40-Hour RBT Training Certificate (Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and Printed for physical record)
- BACB ID (Accessible from the BACB accounted created from Step 2)
- Transcript or High School Diploma
- CPR Certification
Step 6: Taking the RBT Exam (Fees Required)
After you pass the competency portion, it is time to register for the RBT exam. This process can be a bit daunting, but Behavioral Achievements is here to help. We will help you register for your RBT exam.
- Step 1: First, you must register with the BACB board that you are ready. This fee is approximately $50.
- Step 2: Second, you will register with Pearson to take the RBT exam. The cost is approximately $45 each time the test is taken.
If you need a quiet place to test, we also have you there as well. The exam is proctored and requires the room to be free and clear of any other individual. If you need to perform your test and want to use our facilities, please discuss with us and we can set up a time to ensure the conference room is cleared.
Additionally, once the test is complete, we can help you finalize your NV Certemy registration to complete the final steps of registering as an RBT with the state of Nevada.
- Final Step: After you have passed and completed submitting your certification to the NV ABA board, you will be able to get registered. This cost is approximately $70.
What to Expect After Registration
After all steps are completed, our front desk staff will work with you to link you to our agency. This will allow for you to be billable under the insurance plans we offer for our clients. Once you have been linked to the agency, we will be able to get you set up working with the children.
While this process is long, the end result will be rewarding for those who are ready to begin their journey into the world of ABA. Please remember that we are here to help you through this long process. Frequent check-ins and updates are appreciated. While we are not able to offer any positions until this process is complete, the check-ins help us know your status so we can leave room for a position if we are capable. If at any time you feel that you are not able to continue this process for any reason, we understand and support your decision. However, we hope you lean on us for help and support!